Join JFC and the TUC for our online Colombia fringe event at TUC Congress 2021.
Trade Unions Resisting State Violence in Colombia
This event is open to everyone
Despite the optimism generated by the 2016 peace agreement, Colombia remains the world’s deadliest country for trade unionists, with at least 20 killed last year alone, as well as human rights defenders and environmental activists.
Meanwhile, trade unions have led massive recent mobilisations in support of economic justice, human rights and peace. In response, the right-wing government has brutally attempted to crush the protests, with security forces killing at least 44 people and committing widespread sexual assaults, torture and forced disappearances.
From the frontline of protests, we are joined by Colombian trade union leaders, as well as TUC members who have participated in JFC delegations to witness first-hand the reality facing many Colombians.
- Francisco Maltés, President, CUT Colombia
- Fabian Hamilton MP, Shadow Minister for Peace
- Mariela Kohon, Senior International Officer, TUC
- Hasan Dodwell, Director, JFC
- Chair: Kevin Courtney, Joint-General Secretary, NEU and International Spokesperson, TUC General Council